Rome, Italy

Rome, Italy
Montesilvano, Italy

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sassari, Sardinia - 1/4/2012

Hello family,

Well how ya'll doin. It’s been a great week here in Sassari. Just cold wind and rain and explosions and stuff. You know just the normal. Haha =) but seriously, new years here is kinda nuts. Our mission president told us we had to be home by 6, no exceptions, because people die here. Well maybe not in Sassari but in places like Napoli and Palermo people blow up cars and throw televisions and refrigerators out the windows so... yeah. So we had a great new years just sitting in our apartment and going to bed at 10:30 like every other good missionary haha. That was about it for new years.

The work is picking up again though! Yay! These holiday weekends have been rough because everyone has been busy or away. We have been teaching this lady named Maddalena, which being translated is Magdalene. She is awesome. She is a friend of the Mastino family. She lives at their house actually I think. The Mastinos are way great, F.llo Mastino is a big shot lawyer here in Sardegna, and also a registered communist but I won't hold it against him haha. Communists can be strong members of the church too right? Well... she's probably our #1 investigator right now. Especially thanks to her friendship with members of the church. I think the most success in bringing people to the church is when work is done by the members, not through the missionaries. Over my mission I have become a firm believer in the ideal that the purpose of missionaries is much less to find but to teach and the finding should be done by the members. I believe this is the most efficient way because me and Anziano Harris can go around knocking on doors all stinkin’ day long and talk to NO ONE but when a member brings a friend to church or something like that it sparks actual interest in the church and they have fellowship in the church already to help support them though their new journey into to a new life style.

I hear you let Dani stay at our house to watch my siblings again. She's great isn't she? She has probably written me more letters here on the mission than maybe all of you combined. So shame on you all haha just kidding again. =) I hope you all have fun burning stuff in the desert too. I want pictures because that's probably the thing I miss most about new years back home. Also pictures from Christmas too. All the cousins puzzle pieces are still not here. I get about a letter every day or so though so it’s not all lost yet. I am missing Eliza, Matt, Brian, and Nicole. Without all the pieces though I can't ever really start to get the puzzle organized so I am praying that the rest gets here soon.

Oh I have a serious question. We were at a member’s house and they had the news on. I heard something along the lines that the Nation of Iran is declaring war on the US? Pretty courageous move for them if you ask me. Also how’s our good buddy Mitt doing in the primaries? And once again absentee ballot, don't forget it. I want an I voted sticker too haha. And way to go Aunt Becky on the stick it to the man email/post/blog thing that grandma sent me. I hope it really helps some people get a little better idea of who we are as Mormons and that we are actual normal people. Here in Italy for some reason everyone thinks we are Amish people. An educational video here in Italy that everyone watches in school talks about the Mormons but it talks about us 180 years ago when we all had beards and 10 wives and pushed handcarts and the video presented it so badly that all the Italians think we all still live that way haha. It’s quite funny sometimes many people ask where our beards are or if I will offer them one of my daughters.

So that’s about it I guess. Buon Anno! E Vi voglio bene! Alla prossima!

Con amore, Anziano Kyle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment