Rome, Italy

Rome, Italy
Montesilvano, Italy

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Catania, Sicily - 8/10/2011

Hey everyone!

Well I'm still in Catania today which means I survived another transfer call! I'm staying in Catania another transfer, which indirectly means another two because my trainer leaves at the end of this one and goes back home to San Diego and I will have to stay here with someone else a transfer before I go. So that means I will be here till early November in Catania, maybe longer. It’s amazing to think that this month is Elliot and Carlton's (other missionaries from Newhall serving in Oklahoma & Argentina) one year mark in the mission. It feels like just yesterday those guys left. It reminds of those grueling 6 months I spent waiting after receiving my call =P It’s all been worth it though, because I’m loving this mission and if my call had come any sooner I might not be in Italy at this time, meeting these wonderful people. We have 2 baptisms on the 20th that for sure will go through and the sisters have one on the 27th. It’s quite marvelous how the work is prospering here. The first baptism is our friend Silvio I told you about the other day. He’s is doing awesome and we are celebrating his birthday this Monday. Then there's Ben. He’s another Filipino like Carlo. He’s way old and doesn't understand English or Italian very well so just like Carlo we have a Tagalog sister translate for us. He’s just like Carlo though and is very excited to be baptized. I'm so happy to see these people making this change in their lives and becoming disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Today we went to a totally awesome World War 2 museum here in Catania. It’s got everything! It’s actually built in a building that was destroyed during a bombing raid on Catania. As a matter of fact I'd like to tell you that here there are many buildings that look way old and exploded. You can still see damage here caused by the war. The museum had all kinds of way interesting facts about the war and what Italy did. I learned something new.... the Sicilians never accepted Mussolini as their leader and were forced to fight alongside the Nazis. And when America conquered Sicilia it was a liberation instead of an occupation. It was way cool to see videos and pictures from the war that showed streets in Catania that I walk down on a daily basis. 70 years ago the place where my apartment stands was a bomb crater. OH SNAP! We got to climb on big guns and stuff. It was a lot like Pearl Harbor. It also gave me a lot of Italian Patriotism which I'm not too sure is such a good thing. I started cheering for the Italians in some of the battles until I realized they were fighting Americans =S sorry America. You will always be number 1 in my heart! It was an accident.

So Aunt Ashley's married. I can’t believe it. It’s kinda weird to think about actually, I’ve got another Uncle Steve, well Uncle Steve the younger. ALSO I can’t believe you guys put my face on a pole. That's classic. One of the sister missionaries here, Sister Buma has a family that does the same thing and every week they send her pictures of her head in different places haha. I told her my family isn't weird enough to do that but alas, I was mistaken. Only 2 pictures from the wedding? Really? Come on; if I don’t get more I’m gonna be upset. And no one ever mailed me a wedding invitation. I feel so secluded =( I’m only on a mission, I’m still part of the family right?.... I guess I gotta wait and see if I get more pictures next week. The video of grandma surfing was HILARIOUS! We all had a good laugh out of that. Grandma Nancy is awesome though.

I miss all you guys and hope you guys are all staying safe and having fun. I love you all and can’t wait to hear from you guys again. Vi voglio bene! e Vi amo! Ci sentiamo e Addio!

Con Amore

Anziano Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment