Rome, Italy

Rome, Italy
Montesilvano, Italy

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Catania, Sicily - 6/8/2011

Caro everyone,

What’s up? No e-mails? =( at least Mike sent me something. (We thought we were supposed to mail letters not email them) So someone in my family still remembered me. Way to go Mike! You were always my favorite! haha I'm just kidding. I got the letters from Mom and Kristin yesterday. And no Kristin I have not eaten that thing you made. (Kristin did a report on Italy and made something called frozia; the internet said it was from Sicily) Neither has my companion. You should have asked me for something to make. The Sicilians eat these things called Arancini. It’s basically cheese, and rice, and all kinds of good stuff, fried into a ball. Look it up, it’s awesome. I eat a lot of pastas haha and a lot of pizzas. You can’t make an Italian style pizza in America because you can't find the right ingredients.

To answer some questions; Mom there are four of us in Catania, me and my colega and 2 sisters. In Sicilia there are 2 zones but we do zone conference together so next week there will be 24 elders staying in our apartment. We have companionships in the cities of Reggio di Calabria (on the mainland, tip of the boot), Messina, Catania, Siracusa, Gela, Argrigento, Sciacca, Trapani, and 2 in Palermo. And we have sisters in Mistreta, Ragusa, Catania, and Siracusa. And 2 companionships in Malta. So yeah, 24 elders and 8 sisters in the Sicilia and Malta zone. The mission is relatively small compared to most missions in the world. We have maybe only 110 missionaries for the whole mission, my group that entered from the MTC with 20 missionaries was the largest group to enter ever, so possibly the mission is growing. It’s difficult to have only 4 missionaries for a city like Catania with some 750,000 inhabitants in our area, we are hoping we can get more.

So this week was great. We went to the beach and saw something called the Turkish steps and then saw some cool Greek temples in Agrigento last P-day. They were huge. I'm sending you some pictures. Today we saw a cool castle here in Catania which I also have pictures of. Tomorrow we are going to an Opera or Ballet; we are not sure which, of one of the sisters’ investigators. It’s going to be in a very old theater in downtown Catania. It’s a huge theater too.

We have some awesome members here in Catania, and our bishop is a great guy to. We taught a lesson with him just yesterday. The bishop has the strongest Sicilian accent I have heard so far here. My companion says he sounds exactly like the guy from The Godfather; I'll take his word for it because I have not seen that movie, ever. Some members are way funny and especially at English class because the English they learn are from songs that they hear so they say some real funny things. Other than that this week was pretty normal. We have a couple investigators but none have baptismal dates =( But they are progressing =) work is hard here in Italy but its progressing and we are baptizing here! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! The church here is stronger than ever and it can only get better! FORZA ITALIA! haha yeah I may have a bit of Italian pride when I get home so get used to it.

So then I guess that’s it, I’m running outa time. I just found out that I can only send one e-mail but I can receive e-mails from anyone so feel free to send me e-mails =) anyone who wants. And on the Sundays where our ward does that thing where they put little segments from the missionaries’ letters in the program, send that to me, because I like to see how my homies around the world are doing.(I already mailed it last week) Ci sentiamo il prossima setimana. Vi voglio bene, vi amo, e mi mancite. Ciao Ciao

Con Amore,

Anziano Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment